Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me" - Matt. 16:24

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Week One...

Well….To sum up this week is difficult. I have experienced more in this past week then I ever imagined possible. We landed in Beria last Thursday, as we drove into Mozambique the poverty was overwhelming. The first day we took a tour of Dondo and the CRI projects. I have seen numerous pictures and videos of people living in poverty but there is no comparison to being in the midst of it. As I walked through the village, seeing, touching and smelling, my senses were overcome by poverty and the consequences of it.

The next day I spent in the clinic observing. Baby after baby came in and tested positive for malaria, seeing their little bodies ravaged by disease broke my heart. So many of these diseases are completely avoidable; from a health educators prospective the lack of sanitation, proper nutrition and malaria prevention almost angered me. I also felt the weight of how massive the problem of poverty is. But there is hope, God loves the Mozambicans and CRI is doing a great job of making that known.

I have to constantly remind myself that this is not about me, the impact I make on this world is irrelevant as long as my life is a testimony of Christ’s saving power and his name is made known through my obedience to his will. I must accept that poverty will always exist and that this world is never going be perfect, not until Christ returns. As you can see I only got through two days, HA! More later.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Jess. I can only imagine the things you are seeing and experiencing. I'm so proud of you for going over there to help them and witness to them. I can't wait to read more about what is going on over there, so post as often as you can.

    ReplyDelete