Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me" - Matt. 16:24

Sunday, June 12, 2011

To Serve the Least of These

We prayed, then headed over to the hospital with a bucket of soup and some paper cups.  There were women with babies tied to their backs sitting outside waiting for us. They solemnly followed us in as we set the soup on the table. A gospel message was shared and then the moms lined up to receive the soup.  As they unwrapped the babies and I got closer the sever emaciation became apparent. Two of the babies were unable to hold their heads up because of weakness. Their bones stuck out beneath their thin chalky skin. I prayed over them and then we moved on to the next room.  There were not many patients in the adult room; I got to share some scripture and pray with them.  To see such great human suffering that close is unexplainable. To touch the hand of a baby that has most likely known nothing but poverty and pain and know that you are completely helpless is tough to deal with.  How do you even begin to process that?
For anyone who knows me they can tell you about my deep admiration for Mother Teresa.  She spent the majority of her life caring for orphans and the dying in India. She truly lived a life worthy of Christ. I have always wanted to model my life after this great woman without truly grasping the reality of the work she did. This is not easy. The glorified version of my “dream” has been shattered and I am beginning to truly understand what it means to serve the least of these.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences Jess. They are so heartfelt and I feel touched by the stories and know they are reaching out and touching other people too. What you are doing is so incredible and is helping the lives of the people over there in ways you can't imagine. For the rest of their lives, they are going to remember you as one of the few people who came to them and shared God's word with them, in addition to helping them with their basic needs. I don't think any of us could ever leave such an impact on another's life as you are for the people over there. I'm praying for you. Please keep posting, you don't know how many lives you may be touching over here with these. Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete